Saturday, March 15, 2008

Linuxville is green, an alternative OS

What makes Linuxville the place to be these days. What makes Linux different? First off, it's like comparing American cars to foreign cars, the same but different. Once you settle into the habit of using it, those differences are minor, simply a matter of taste. Linux works all the same equipment and options but under the hood, it is engineered different. But to you on the desktop it is so close to what your use to.
It feels close to home, then it grows on you, then it becomes a regular destination. Any advantage, you ask? Linux is the alternative OS, it can be used rather than Mac or MS. Linux is greener than Mac or MS. What I mean is that it will run on older, less endowed hardware. You will upgrade and recycle less often and your hardware becomes obsolete over a longer period of time. Linux is greener because the same community that uses it, develops and supports it, thats sustainability. Linux is not bloated, but trim and efficient. Linuxville only needs your passport, not your birth papers, social security card, driver's ID and a bill with your postal address on it. Politically Linuxville is open source. Both the source code and the development tools are free and accessible to you, you can own the stuff you acquire, not just buy user rights. With Mac you get some stuff, but I'm not familiar because I could never afford it. With my HP desktop I got XP, a trial MS Office package, internet ISP offers, MS Works (Office Jr.), MS Internet Explorer, and a couple of multimedia apps. I had to remove a lot of unwanted and unnecessary stuff and install free open source software to get some real work done. I hated the way new program icons peppered my desktop after installing. But I used icons because it is more awkward to use the start button to get to the main menu and or the file manager. Not having the file manager easy to get to means more folder icons on the desktop causing even more confusion. The new Vista still hides the file manager. You probably could adjust these things to work smoother but out of the box, it gets old pretty fast. On my state of the art Linuxville desktop a left click opens a application selection menu anywhere on the desktop and there are a few handy desktop icons and a toolbar to access my file manager in plain sight. No hunting and fishing. I didn't have to remove any useless or unwanted software and when I do add software there is no need for desktop icons because the menus are so accessible. My work flow is more efficient and I enjoy my neat and clean desktop. So, things in Linuxville are well thought out but not psycho-analyzed to death then locked down. If you want to you can change it to suit yourself. What, you want travel photos! Every version of Linux has screenshots on their web pages, you just have to search a little. If your adventurous, boot up a live-CD and see for yourself.
If you want to explore the perfect book I recommend "Point & Click Linux" by Robin 'Roblimo' Miller.

No comments: