Monday, February 20, 2012

working preference

OK, we can maneuver in the various camps via common hardware and cross-over Open Source Software and user activities. And we know that if you can do what you do on any platform, there must be a reason why Linux is your personal choice. Yes besides the economics, I like what I have become familiar with. I know what to expect in this Linux environment. I kind of know how to fix somethings beyond average user knowledge, yet I am not a Linux engineer or a system administrator (able to run a server room). I can manage my Linux PC. This is an essential part of owning a Linux PC because there are few desktop technicians trained in Linux PC support of consumer desktops, corporate networked systems yes, personal Linux PC support no.

Linux does have it's hassles like unfamiliar application names and too many variables within some applications.  It's not necessarily more complex, mostly not throughly enough explained (in a simple manner!). This is further strained when most documentation is down-loadable or on line only. Oh, the comfort of a printed book in your hands! Now Linux does have a fair share of point-n-click applications, but for the most part Linux users expect to tweak things to make them work closer to their needs.

OK, repeat after me, "the tools are the same, the names have been changed to keep the copy-right protests (of the other camps) at bay." Campbells has a trademark patent on their name. If they were to copy-right the word "Soup", then anyone who makes a similar concoction would have to call it "********'s broth with various stuff in it." We don't like copying because it robs somebody of potential sales. Now, "soup" is a publicly accepted, widely used description of "broth with various stuff in it". That's public domain, in common use! Campbells can patent "Campbell's Soup" but not "Soup" by its self. I think Microsoft has been accused of trying to patent "soup" for years. Linux has from the get has offered "broth with various stuff in it", we all recognize it's soup, it's implied. MS still doesn't like it. To add insult to injury Linux and MS run on the same hardware. Good thing there is Open Source Software.

Be happy with your MS powered PC, peaceful even. But do give Open Source Software a try especially if your budget is strained. As for me, I've found the quality, utility and fun of Open Source Software enhanced on the Linux PC and it serves me well. So, Linux is my preference. I recommend Open Source because it is available for Linux and MS PCs. Many folk don't have a choice of PC (like at work), some use what they bought or outright choose MS.  I say this so when the Linux fanboy flag is hoisted over the Linuxville guide chateau, it says I am mainly for Linux, though I keep my passports to the other camps in order.

No comments: